Re: Naming _another_ lacking puzzle piece

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Naming _another_ lacking puzzle piece
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:32:56 +0200 (CEST)

>> I like the name \temporary.  Is this of practical use outside of
>> music functions also?
>
> The main point is to restore to a previous state after a temporary
> override.  This is of course also useful in music assigned to music
> variables.  In the context of a larger music piece, you can, of
> course, just repeat any previous overrides that you want to see
> reestablished, but this is not cut&paste friendly.

OK, for music functions and variable assignments.  Then, I think,
\temporary is indeed just fine.

> Maybe \push\override ... but this has the disadvantage that you
> never actively see a \pop.  Hm.  Maybe we should rename \undo to
> \pop then?

I think that we either need a consistent use if \push and \pop, or we
should refrain using it.  Given that the Scheme functions handling the
stack are not mapped one-to-one to user commands, as you've shown in a
previous mail, I think we should avoid \push and \pop.

    Werner