Re: [translations] Git translation branch policy change: merge with and

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: [translations] Git translation branch policy change: merge with and from stable/2.16
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 13:49:12 +0200

Le 21/10/2012 13:15, David Kastrup disait :
Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden> writes:
That's what I feared since the freeze: having to maintain two sets of
translations.

I think that we will likely leave the stable branch behind soon with
regard to documentation maintenance.  Our documentation is improving all
the while, and much of it remains applicable to the stable branch.  At
the same time, there are several significant changes going forward, and
those will affect a large ratio of documentation, partly
semiautomatically, meaning that cherry-picking changes without extensive
merge conflicts will get harder and harder.

It is important for us to work on documentation designed to match
ongoing work, cater for the future of LilyPond rather than its past.  We
don't have two separate teams maintaining stable and unstable branches
(in fact, it is a conflict of interest that I am still responsible for
the stable branch).  So I don't really see much of an alternative to
focusing documentation improvements, even where they tend to apply
equally well to past versions, on master.  If we have master the best
and most consistent we can make it, this will end up in a stable release
after all.  Not 2.16, but 2.18.

Fine with me.

So I really think we should move translations over, and live with the
documentation of 2.16 being the best we could make it for 2.16.

Do we translators first update what you just merged from stable? I'm on it at the present (my wife is conducting a choir rehearsal of King Arthur this afternoon).

Cheers,
Jean-Charles