Re: Releases 2.17.6 and 2.16.1

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Releases 2.17.6 and 2.16.1
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 11:54:40 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:57 PM

On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 04:29:53PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:
I finished building 2.17.6 about 30 minutes ago.  Gub failed again,
but I know how to fix this manually and have done so, so it's ready
for upload.

I suggest a moratorium on releases until GUB works.  Too many
things can go wrong when manual steps are required.

TBH, I don't think I've ever had a completely problem-free GUB build, except when running the very long build from scratch. As it stands, I do understand what's going wrong and the manual steps to correct that and am pretty clear that this is down to the signature problem. A simple way to prevent it is to delete the signature directory, but I'd prefer to try to fix it.

I've just pushed a
commit to gperciva/gub that will likely fix this - although this is
somewhat "by inspection" so if anyone knows more of the internals of
gub and can comment, I'd be happy.

This looks questionable to me:

-NATIVE_BUILD_COMMITTISH=$(shell cat
$(LILYPOND_REPO_BRANCH_DIR)/refs/heads/$(LILYPOND_DIRRED_BRANCH))
+NATIVE_BUILD_COMMITTISH=$(shell cat
$(LILYPOND_REPO_DIR)/git/refs/heads/$(LILYPOND_DIRRED_BRANCH))

Isn't _BRANCH_DIR vs. _DIR how we distinguish between master and
release/unstable and stable/2.16 ?

Running lilypond make with the print target now prints out quite a lot of these variables. It gives:

LILYPOND_DIRRED_BRANCH git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/release/unstable
LILYPOND_FLATTENED_BRANCH git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-release-unstable
BUILD_PACKAGE git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git?branch=release/unstable
DOC_PACKAGE git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond-doc.git?branch=release/unstable
TEST_PACKAGE git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond-test.git?branch=release/unstable
NATIVE_BUILD_COMMITTISH bcda814afef1e8e11a376fbac6d5367ffa78fcbd
LILYPOND_REPO_BRANCH_DIR downloads/lilypond/git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/release/
LILYPOND_REPO_DIR downloads/lilypond

On my GUB system, there is no directory anything like downloads/lilypond/git.sv.gnu.org, so I'm unclear what LILYPOND_REPO_BRANCH_DIR is intended to point to. As you see, LILYPOND_DIRRED_BRANCH points to foo/release/unstable, and I believe it is this that is used to distinguish the various buld targets.

On further inspection, I wonder whether it's an error of logic. From lilypond.make, we have:

LILYPOND_REPO_BRANCH_DIR=$(LILYPOND_REPO_DIR)/$(dir $(LILYPOND_DIRRED_BRANCH))

and the original command for the committish was:

NATIVE_BUILD_COMMITTISH=$(shell cat $(LILYPOND_REPO_BRANCH_DIR)/refs/heads/$(LILYPOND_DIRRED_BRANCH))

so LILYPOND_DIRRED_BRANCH was effectively added to the path twice. Can't see it would ever have worked - think you must have been deleting the signature files?

--
Phil Holmes