Re: Design flaw in Rest_collision

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Design flaw in Rest_collision
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 09:29:18 +0100

On 5 nov. 2012, at 09:26, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

>>> The co-dependent shifts should likely be done by Note_column.  About the
>>> rest dimensions used for that: I'd likely just pick the on-staff glyph,
>>> as the off-staff glyphs just differ by ledger lines IIRC.
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that this advice is not based on any actual knowledge about
>>> the backend, so it is entirely possible that it is a bunch of nonsense.
>>>

>> We're on the same wavelength - this is how rest pure height is
>> calculated.  That's what I've done for now in the code I'm working on
>> to be able to keep working.  It's ugly, tho, as it requires an
>> exception for rests (rest ? use pure height : use height).
>
> Would the problem not be the same with notes? They depend on things like
> beam scoring, and also have the ledger line situation.

The placement of notes does not depend on beam scoring.  As for ledger lines,
ledger lines for notes are always a spanner and never built into the glyph.
Their width is not taken into account in any horizontal spacing equations
unless approximations are done (see, for example,
Note_head::include_ledger_line_height).

Cheers,
MS