Re: [talk] suggestion: redesign "sponsoring" page.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [talk] suggestion: redesign "sponsoring" page.
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:04:36 +0100

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> Il 09/11/2012 18:55, Janek Warchoł ha scritto:
>> - split the remainder of the page between "features for hire"
>> (one-time bounties) and "continuous support" (giving money to an
>> individual without setting what exactly he has to do, just to enable
>> him to continue his work - what we do with David now).
>
> I suggest putting a link to the list of bounties:
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=label%3ABounty

I think the idea of "Bounty" was pretty much retired.  I don't think any
have been proposed in the last year, and it is very much questionable
that any remaining listed bounties will be easily collectable.

I tried collecting on a number of "low-hanging" or not so low-hanging
bounties probably a year ago or so, and it has been my experience that
the process of trying to collect the bounties (even though I eventually
managed to get about 75%) amounted to a disproportionate effort and,
quite worse, was a major turnoff.  It turns out that even a bounty of
€25 or similar throws many people into "bill-paying" mode where they
question every achievement by default, delay payment until they have
have found time and leisure to corroborate that the stuff does what they
think they wanted to have (partly different from what they specified
they wanted to have) when they were still using LilyPond etc etc.

So it has been at least my experience that with regard to the balance of
motivating and demotivating experiences, the bounty system was not
working out.  I'd recommend against linking to the remaining bounties.