LilyPond internships and LilyPond graduation projects. MusicXML export!

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: LilyPond internships and LilyPond graduation projects. MusicXML export!
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:41:38 +0200

Hi folks,

my cousin Franek has chosen working on LilyPond as his summer
internship (Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics of Warsaw
University requires students to complete internships so that they gain
experience in working on real-life projects - i suppose other
universities do the same).

There is just one formal requirement: some organization or business
entity (of course it should be affiliated with LilyPond in some way)
has to provide a "certificate" after he finishes his work.  Do you
know who could do this?  This doesn't have to be anything formal -
just a note that student so-and-so worked on LilyPond during summer
for estimated x hours.

Maybe we could get students from other countries to work on LilyPond?
It was really simple in case of Warsaw University: i went to the guy
responsible for internships, talked with him and he said LilyPond is
perfectly fine - and that was it!

Now, there's an even more awesome thing: i've talked with another guy
who coordinates the "team programming project" course for 3rd-year
students (which results in undergraduate thesis for the team members).
 The thing is that the coordinator wants the projects to be as
real-life as possible: some of the projects are actually ordered by
companies.

I've asked him whether it would be okay to have some LilyPond modules
as the project, and he said that it's okay - Lily fulfills all
requirements.  So, the students could for example implement MusicXML
export, or implement advanced accidental spacing
(http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2141 and friends),
or some other project (Mike's skylines is a good example of the
project that could be done during this course).

I think this is pretty awesome!  Maybe you could try this in your
local Universities?  Having a horde of students working on LilyPond
would be excellent, don't you think?

cheers,
Janek