Re: getting `random' patches reviewed

From: James
Subject: Re: getting `random' patches reviewed
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 20:47:49 +0100

hello,

On 05/07/13 19:55, David Kastrup wrote:
Mark Polesky <address@hidden> writes:

Should I start a new tracker issue for every little change I
want to make?
Yes.  It's easy to do with git-cl.

   That seems excessive.
It gives independent verification.

Should I just push to staging?  That seems counter to the
spirit of the whole countdown thing.
The "countdown" thing and the "issue" thing is for the situation where
input is a possibility.  Skipping either is a possibility, but if your
judgment about the non-necessity of feedback was faulty, expect raised
eyebrows.  Pushing straightforward spelling fixes without markup
directly to staging is not much of an issue.  For other things, our
mileage may vary.

Also note that a few of the devs simply don't have time to read through all the emails or check a tracker on the off chance.

The email countdown thing we do, gives a clear and concise list of patches that, if there are no undue comments, will be pushed. It also means that some 'big' patches can be split up much more easily into manageable chunks for easy review and comment.

Prior to this we had master breaking every week and more time was spent finding the culprit, picking apart the problem, reverting and then fixing it. It got quite dispiriting frankly.

The idea is that a dev makes a fix, uses git-cl and then pretty much has nothing else to do, it gets fully tested (independently - usually including a full make doc (when I test patches), which takes hours on others' machines) and shepherded through.

Assuming that the patch is ok, we're talking a few days delay, max and it gives ample opportunity for those that may (for example) only look at the email lists a few days a week.

What's the rush?

James