Re: GUB failing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GUB failing
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 23:19:40 +0200

Heikki Tauriainen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 2013-10-20 at 15:32 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > So will we have to wait for Heikki to provide a fix, or are you able
>> > to fix it yourself?
>>
>> Pushed a fix to staging.
>
> This patch just keeps on giving trouble...  I'm very sorry for breaking
> things this badly for other people, this certainly never was my
> intention.

Ok, stop the guilt tripping right now.  You did your best, and those
"other people" for which you broke things did not exactly go out of
their way to provide early feedback.  We have several mechanical checks
and balances exactly because our human reviews leave a lot to be
desired.  A year or two ago, master would get broken about once a month
and stay that way for about a day, with tempers rising and
finger-pointing.

Similar mistakes still happen (though less often), but our mechanisms
just stop the pipelines to master until stuff gets cleaned up in
staging.