Re: Microtonal accidentals

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Microtonal accidentals
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 17:55:58 +0100

On 3 Nov 2013, at 13:17, Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 03/11/13 12:34, Hans Aberg wrote:
>> I know how to do it from the theoretical point of view, but somebody who
>> knows the internals of LilyPond must do it.
>
> Of course.  I'm just raising it as pertinent to the discussion. :-)

As a preparation, LilyPond might get intervals: it is going to be too
complicated to write out names for all pitch combinations.

A pitch is defined by a written pitch plus a sequence of intervals added to it.
Accidentals are a special case: intervals not changing the scale degree.

To illustrate the syntax problem in pseudocode, instead of a harmonic c-major
with absolute pitch names
  c d ef f g af b cā€™
one might use intervals
  \pitch-reference c { P1 M2 m3 P4 P5 m6 M7 P8 }
with the letters meaning P = pure, M = major, m = minor.

Using an accidental sharp #, this might be
   \pitch-reference c { P1 M2 m3 P4 P5 m6 m7# P8 }

This illustrates that written intervals might have two syntactic functions: as
an operator like the postfix #, which modifies the pitch or interval before it,
and as absolute intervals as in the first example.

LilyPond already has two postfix operators "," and "ā€˜", changing the octave. So
there would be need for more operators.

The absolute intervals might be useful, too. Then one might define "," = -P8,
"ā€˜" = P8 together with some operator declaration of "," and "ā€˜".