Re: Microtonal accidentals

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Microtonal accidentals
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 18:15:01 +0100

On 03/11/13 17:55, Hans Aberg wrote:
As a preparation, LilyPond might get intervals: it is going to be too
complicated to write out names for all pitch combinations.

A pitch is defined by a written pitch plus a sequence of intervals added to it.
Accidentals are a special case: intervals not changing the scale degree.

You've raised a very important point that I was going to mention myself in slightly different wording.

There needs to be a way of defining pitches that separates the work of defining staff notes from the work of defining alterations, and constructs pitch names as a combination of the two.

The current method where (using English names) c, cf, cs, d, df, ds, e, ef, es, f, ff, fs, g, gf, gs, a, af, as and b, bf, bs are all defined, just doesn't scale when you are dealing with many different kinds of microtonal alteration.

It's just about feasible, if you really want to, to define a quarter-tone scale this way. You can see this in the answer that I gave last year to a user who was interested in defining a 16th-tone scale:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-06/msg00443.html

So, there needs to be a way of saying: these are the staff pitches and the staff positions they correspond to (define c, d, e, f, g, a, b) and these are the alterations and the accidentals they correspond to (define -s, -f, etc.), now give me my list of available pitch names ...

That isn't a precondition of solving the microtonal notation issue but it would be strongly complementary.