Re: Microtonal accidentals

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Microtonal accidentals
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 23:26:25 +0100

Microtonal key signatures seem to work: I have updated the file regularE53.ly
[1] with a keyAlterationOrder. Typeset the file regularE53test.ly for an
example. Requires the include file [2].

The rule I set, as it turns out, can be used for any set of microtonal
accidentals, though currently must be written by hand for all accidental values
that occur:
  Typeset lowering accidentals before the raising accidentals, and within each
set,
  in the traditional circle of fifths order (which is reverse for flats).

Currently, the LilyPond default puts double-flats after the flats, and similar
for sharps. Also, in Persian music, one puts the microtonal accidentals after
the sharps and flats, and lower in the staff.

However, this rule looks nice in print, so might qualify as a default. To
clarify, one might write the key and name over the key signature. LilyPond
might help to automate that: mostly the LilyPond name of the key might suffice,
but not always.

Also, it suffices to define an accidental order (without accidental values), so
it would be easy to generalize to scales with a number of scale degrees other
than seven.

1.
https://www-lagring.telia.se/Shares/Home.aspx?ShareID=35e0b920-6910-4e4f-8340-7d8290115dda
Click on the LilyPond folder.