Continuing towards 2.18

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Continuing towards 2.18
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 09:23:40 +0100

Hi,

after we got 2.17.95 out the door with some minor lacerations, I had a
double take and, well, I got a few things confused.

Here is our current situation:

a stable/2.18 branch has been tied off.  Afterwards, several other
changes were committed to master and 2.17.95 was released from master.

How is that supposed to lead to well-tested stable branch?  Excellent
question.

What should have been done after tying off the stable/2.18 release
branch would have been releasing 2.17.95 from the stable/2.18 release
branch, and calling master the upcoming 2.19.0.

So how do we proceed from here?  My suggestion is to do 2.17.96
"properly" from the stable/2.18 branch.  Looking through the difference
between the current mark of stable/2.18 and release/2.19.95-1, there are
just two non-trivial commits that are _not_ fixing a release-critical
problem.

Those are basically:

commit 0b032b61be1224b2cce061df60aa89ea5aa89c07