Re: Support articulations, slurs and breaths in MIDI (issue 26470047)

From: Devon Schudy
Subject: Re: Support articulations, slurs and breaths in MIDI (issue 26470047)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:11:17 -0500

David Kastrup wrote:
> So it would be extra-velocity.

That makes it sound like it's added to velocity instead of multiplied
— but actually it should be added, because it gives a more consistent
effect across dynamics. Multiplying a quiet note's velocity by 1.2
gives hardly any accent, but adding 20 sounds about the same at \pp and
\ff. I'll change it.

Ian Hulin wrote:
> Also, if your aim is to implement the articulate.ly audio effects
> without having to use articulate.ly work-round method of using a
> parallel \score block that's a good aim, too.

That's the idea.

> the next goal for this sub-project may be to get the audio playback
> to honour the \repeat structures by translating the volta and
> tremolo flavours to unfold.

I want this too, but apparently it was discussed previously, and some
users don't want voltas automatically unfolded, because they don't
want to hear them twice when proofreading.

> Another performer-type issue - very definitely separate from this
> patch - is transposed audio output. Best to note the interaction of
> the audio output and the \transpose and \transposition commands as a
> TODO - the issue is does Lily apply pitch-bends to effect audio
> transposition to implement respect a \transposition command and how
> does this play nicely when \transpose is used for the printed
> output?

Audio_note just uses Pitch::transposed; it doesn't do anything special
about \transpose. IIUC the only problem with their interaction is that
\transpose mistakenly transposes \transposition.

[on overlapping notes in slurs]
> Are there any negative results for percussive and plucked instruments
> when using this approach?

For undamped instruments like harp and most drums, no — these
instruments generally ignore the note-off event, so it doesn't matter
when it comes. For guitar-like instruments, the result is not a
significant improvement, because the notes are still replucked instead
of just fingered. I don't think MIDI can do pull-offs without either
portamento-mode or pitch-bend abuse.

> Is co-existence and inter-operation with articulate.ly an overall
> goal for this set of patches?

Not specifically, but it would be annoying if it broke articulate.ly
(by e.g. shortening staccatos twice), since so many people use it.

> Or have the hook scale up the durations of the notes you return by a
> factor you tune via a property for all fermatae?

Doing fermatas by changing the durations would require delaying all
later notes. This isn't supported yet, but might not be terribly hard to add.