Re: LilyPond Feta font - natural design

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: LilyPond Feta font - natural design
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 11:53:40 +0100

2013/12/5 Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> (I hope you're not suggesting to remove the brushing.)
>>
>> No, but i'm thinking whether it could be adjusted a bit so that it
>> would print better.
>
> You fundamentally cannot make something that looks straight on 600 dpi
> and brushed by 5 pixels on 1200dpi, let alone do well on intermediate
> resolutions, like 750 or 450 dpi.

Well, yes.  But if the thickness changed in some other way than now,
it may look generally better across all resolutions.  See attachment -
on the left there is current natural.  Middle is my first idea, and on
the right is what i thought about after seeing your scan (because
that's more or less how these accidentals look).

Of course this is not any proposal to actually change the natural
shape - it's just some food for thought.

> IMO The right way to do this is seeing if you can add manual hints to
> the OTF file. Once you have something manual that works for your
> resolutions, you have figure out how to add these hints through a
> script.

Yes, that is the right way.  I looked at Fontforge and tried doing
this [1], but couldn't find my way around it, and i already have too
much lilypond stuff on my head to spend lots of time on learning it.
So, this will have to wait (unless someone else wants to do it - i
could help him).

best,
Janek

[1] i don't want to be a guy who only says "someone(TM) should do it".