Re: branching

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: branching
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:03:05 +0200

On Dec 10, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 02:42:45PM +0200, Mike Solomon wrote:
>> On the website, we would offer _all_ of these development
>> branches, including the one built off of staging, as GUB builds.
>
> A few years ago, we were asked to cut our downloads down to 5 GB.
> I deleted a bunch of devel stuff and got it down to 7 or 8, but
> we're probably back to 15 GB now.  I don't think we should fill up
> the server with that many builds, nor do I think we should ask
> James to do all that building.

I agree about the not asking James part - this should be split up (different
gubs making different builds).
As for the filling the server part, this seems like something that can be
solved with alternate hosting sites for the download links.

>> We would also contain a tracker showing number of downloads and
>> encouraging users to download the branches that have been
>> downloaded the _least_.
>
> I don't like the idea of treating users as guinea pigs.  If
> somebody wants to test out devel stuff, it's not unreasonable for
> them to compile it themselves (inside lilydev if necessary).

I don’t either, but I do like the idea of asking them to be guinea pigs.
To this end, I’ll send an e-mai to the users list about this.

Cheers,
MS