Re: Website improvements, part 1

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Website improvements, part 1
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:14:44 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> I have discussed with Carl (Peterson) that it would be good to proceed
> with the following steps:
> - get the proposed _content_ changes into a shape for a formal review.
>   (Do this informally and incrementally so we'll have only one formal
> review in the end)
> - Once that's clear Carl will work on a new appearance,
>   taking into account if the content would require structural changes
> - While he's working on that translators can try to update the website
> translations

The last point won't work: you rather need to update the structure of
the translations yourself so that the result passes compilation and is
valid HTML.

The problem we have is that translators work on a single branch, and
that branch currently is a translation of the stable/2.18 branch.  It
does not make sense to change this before the release, and we'll likely
be locked until 2.18.1 as well.

In addition, only some translations are actually reasonably up-to-date,
so even without this impediment, you need to get the structure fixed in
a time frame independent from the ongoing translations.