Re: Guile 2 support

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Guile 2 support
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 23:50:00 +0000

On 12/31/13 4:30 PM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Sven Axelsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Fantastic work everyone with getting version 2.18 out of the door.
>>
>> When I saw the release notice, I immediately wanted to update the
>>Homebrew
>> formula (Homebrew is a package manager for Mac OS X). However, I was
>>told
>> by the maintainers that an update would not be accepted, unless Lilypond
>> would compile with the default Guile which is currently 2.0.9.
>
>Where is the point in not allowing an upgrade from one version requiring
>GUILE 1 to another one requiring GUILE 1?

I think the Homebrew forumula actually doesn't work that well (at least, I
couldn't make it work) because Homebrew wants to have Guile 2.0, not 1.8.
But I haven't spent the time to really follow it through.

>> I know that there have been plans of bumping to Guile 2 for a long
>> time now. Is this something that is planned for the next release?
>
>Oh, definitely.  It's not like it wasn't planned for 2.16 and 2.14.  But
>somebody has to do the heavy lifting.

Is there someplace you know that describes the current status of 2.0
migration?  A search on the google tracker for Guile 2.0 shows up issues
3364, 1826, 1780, and 1055.  I also found issue 2026.

Issues 2026 and 1780 show up as abandoned.  Issue 1055 has nothing
happening since February 2011.

Issue 3364 will supposedly not be a problem once we use Guile 2.0.

Issue 1686 claims to have fixed the guile compilation problem with Guile
2.0

What yet remains to be able to run lilypond with Guile 2.0?

Thanks,

Carl