Re: Guile 2 support

From: karl
Subject: Re: Guile 2 support
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 01:56:09 +0100 (CET)

David Kastrup:
> Sven Axelsson <address@hidden> writes:
> > I know that there have been plans of bumping to Guile 2 for a long
> > time now. Is this something that is planned for the next release?
>
> Oh, definitely.  It's not like it wasn't planned for 2.16 and 2.14.  But
> somebody has to do the heavy lifting.

There don't seem to be many guides how to do the upgrade 1.8 -> 2.0,
the only thing I found was the 1990 first lines of:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=blob;f=NEWS;h=b53386a0bcfa3e67acf5f63e501ccf84c8242557;hb=958a28e9fec33ebb4673294308a82ccd18cc6071

and the problems reported by:

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=guile+2.0&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Stars+Owner+Patch+Needs+Summary&cells=tiles

from which I get the picture that 1.8 and 2.0 is basically the "same"
but 2.0 have a stricter adherence to R5RS and it also have a byte
compiler which makes lazy binding troublesome.

///

Peter Brett has a guide how to work with mult. guile versions:

http://blog.peter-b.co.uk/2011/06/geda-and-guile-compiling-against.html

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data