Re: Ubuntu and LilyPond from scratch

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and LilyPond from scratch
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 09:22:18 -0000

James wrote Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:48 AM

> On 21/02/14 16:55, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>> No sure if this is of interest to anyone, but I have just successfully
>> installed Ubuntu 12.04.4 from scratch, followed by git, and the LilyPond
>> repository.  Following the CG, I then ran autoconf and configure, apt-got
>> the missing packages, and successfully ran make all and make doc.  I've
>> never done this before from scratch - previously I used Lily-dev - and was
>> surprised how easy it was.

> I don't know how to build a 'liveCD' from other distributions and the
> tool that I used for lilydev is no longer being developed and while it
> works for 13.10 it still produces huge ISO files (2GB in size). I've
> been trying to find a way to build a _small_ ISO file for a new lilydev
> but time and experience are alluding me.
>
> But we could just update the CG (I thought Eluze had done that, but am
> obviously mistaken) based on that tracker I referenced above.

Well, the CG's instructions as far as I've gone (up to make all and make doc)
are absolutely fine (except that the instructions for building the docs are
found only under 'compiling').  I used to use LilyDev under Windows but
found it affected my 'normal' work too much when the VM was running
on my 2Gb laptop.  As a spare laptop became available I decided to install
ubuntu there just to try it out.  Not sure I'm going to do any serious LilyPond
work there though - I'll still do any doc work on my usual machine under
Windows.

So from my experience, using LilyDev in a VM under Windows is only
viable if you have a pretty substantial host available.  In which case the
large memory requirement might not be so much a problem, as long
as the instructions make that requirement clear.

Trevor