Re: Generate a .pe script for one design size at a time. (issue 93430043

From: James
Subject: Re: Generate a .pe script for one design size at a time. (issue 93430043)
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 21:37:17 +0100

On 20/05/14 20:58, David Kastrup wrote:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> what's the procedure for pushing this after the LGTM? Can I just push
>> the commit onto master?
>>
>> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 6:38 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> LGTM now, thanks.
>>>
>>> https://codereview.appspot.com/93430043/
> LGTM is just a thumbs-up from one reviewer.  If the review looks
> favorably, the patch will be promoted to Patch-push status by the Patch
> meister eventually.  That's when one can rebase and push the patch to
> staging (never! master) and mark the issue as fixed.  Automated
> procedures will do a complete check of staging regularly (every few
> hours) and push it to master when it passes all of a number of checks.

The emails that get sent to 'Dev list' every 3 days with the title
'PATCHES: Countdown [insert date here]' are  the current set of patches
and their relative states - new, review, countdown and push.

On each review I (the current Patch Meister) increments the tracker
status 'up' (after checking the email lists and the rietveld for any
comments that might push it back to 'needs work' - and so the cycle
starts again. I then update the tracker and that should send the email
to the contact of that tracker (which git-cl does for you) and when you
get the 'countdown for [date]' message and then the next 3 days goes
without any comment (or just LGTMs) then it gets the 'please push'
message emailed out. Then you can push it to HEAD:staging (not master).

The reason it is done like this (including the email I send out every 3
days with the current state) is to give a one place to see all the
current patches in progress but also a chance (of at least 6 days) for
all the other devs to see and comment if they so wish - there was some
discussion that no comment == approval so that a patch  can go through
the whole cycle of passes test/review/countdown/push without any comment
at all. Silence is assumed to be OK. If the patch fails any tests it
gets put back to needs work.

So the next countdown is tomorrow morning (I am in UK time) and over my
coffee and cornflakes I'll check the patches currently in the flow and
update them accordingly with emails etc.

Then you can push.

Hope that helps.

Just makes things nice and sane, but also allows a much easier flow for
when we have lots of patches on the go of varying complexities and
aspects of the code without devs having to 'go and find' what needs
reviewing.

James