Re: Compound time signature style

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Compound time signature style
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 22:26:30 +0100

> On 6 Nov 2014, at 21:42, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hans Aberg <address@hidden> writes:

>> You wanted \compoundMeter to be numeric, so I gave a possible
>> algorithmic structure, reiterating discussions of the past on LilyPond
>> lists. Once one has that, the time signature derives from that, the
>> question you are asking about.
>
> I guess I am just too far below the intelligence of your target audience
> to understand even a single sentence of what you are saying.
>
> It seems like we need an interpreter between mathematician and engineer.
> Is there a physicist around?

Carl Sorensen worked on this stuff back in 2012, and implemented
  \set beatStructure = #'(4 3 4)
Before one had to write something like
  \set beatGrouping = #'(4 3 4)
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 11 16) 4 16)
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 11 16) 7 16)

The new beatStructure is simpler, but it fails capturing the hierarchy of
subaccents.

So this is the question one ends up with when trying to implement automated
forms of compound meter time signatures.