Re: Change default MIDI file extension to '.mid'

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Re: Change default MIDI file extension to '.mid'
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 15:02:39 +0100

Il 05/01/15 13.34, David Kastrup ha scritto:
.mid happens to be also Map Interchange Data.

I didn't know about this.

> Which programs are "many other programs", under which systems?

I'm sorry, I actually meant to write "some" instead of "many".

The ones I can test right now are REAPER all versions on all systems (Windows, Mac, Linux with Wine) and Cakewalk 8 on Windows (pretty old; I don't know about newer versions). I remember having used other ones that didn't accept *.midi files, but I don't have them here. But I realize that this might be a bit too little to deserve a change in LilyPond.

The only remaining argument in favor of changing LilyPond's default is that *.mid files are more widespread in my experience, but this could be only my experience and might also not warrant a change.

Best wishes.
Davide