Re: Ossias and key signatures

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Ossias and key signatures
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:30:14 +0100

Phil Holmes <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm not top posting.
>
> Sending this via the Gmane interface, since my direct emails to the
> mailing list never seem to get through.
>
> I'm doing some music with a lot of Ossia staves as vocal cues, and have
> discovered 2 spacing issues that would appear to be caused by the
> permanent staves reserving unnecessary space for the ossia's key sig.  The
> code below gives the output which I will attach to a reply to this: you
> will see that the first line has an unnecessary extension at its end; also
> that the WMR in measure 20 is displaced to the right.
>
> I'm assuming this is a bug: anyone know if it's easily fixable?

This is not a direct answer to your question: when we fiddle together by
hand functionality such as ossia and some things look inappropriate for
an ossia, it is tricky to call it a bug unless the visuals are
inappropriate even for the components from which we make our "ossia".
If they are just problematic because we want to call the result an ossia
stave, they are not a bug.

In order to turn such an inconvenience into a proper bug and fix it, we
need a dedicated command for creating an ossia stave.  Once we have
that, any behavior unsuitable for an ossia stave is a bug and can be
fixed.