Re: Issue 4274: Fix a cyclic dependency in Rest_collision (issue 1935900

From: nine . fierce . ballads
Subject: Re: Issue 4274: Fix a cyclic dependency in Rest_collision (issue 193590043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:09:58 +0000

On 2015/01/27 05:21:47, Keith wrote:
Are you sure there is a cycle?

Rest_collision does use the height of the rests to determine the
height of the
rests, but I do not see where calling the Rest::height() function can
call
Rest_collision() cyclically.

Is there some LilyPond input that causes infinite recursion or gives
the error
message from the trap for cyclic dependencies ?

In master there is no message because of the way Rest::height works.  It
gets a stencil for the rest without actually calling
get_property("stencil"), which means there is no record that the stencil
is already being calculated at the time Rest_collision asks for the
extent of the rest, which asks for the stencil, which is being
calculated.

I discovered this when I tried to use get_property("stencil") from
Rest::height while trying to fix issue 4245.

https://codereview.appspot.com/193590043/