Re: Issue 2535: Staccato on stem side alignment when other articulations

From: david . nalesnik
Subject: Re: Issue 2535: Staccato on stem side alignment when other articulations are present (issue 196260043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:20:20 +0000

On 2015/01/27 07:32:24, dak wrote:
Aaaand another thought: wouldn't it make more sense instead of having
independent shifts for "with other articulations" and "without other
articulations" when the articulation closest to the notehead is
responsible for
aligning the whole stack of articulations?

Not in the case of staccatos, however.  Staccatos are ideally (according
to Gould) centered on the stem when alone, and centered on the notehead
when with others.  I can't think of an example of a compound
articulation where staccato is at the bottom.

Which would be the extreme case of a weighted average where
articulations
closest to the notehead count most towards alignment.  But I suspect
that
looking at more than just the closest articulation would likely be
overkill and
not an actual improvement.

Yes, I think weighting different toward-stem-shift values is too much.
After all, articulations ought to be vertically aligned, and if a user
for some reason wants to shift a single member of the stack, the numbers
they use ought to reflect exactly the position relative to notehead and
stem.

https://codereview.appspot.com/196260043/