Re: Issue 2535: Staccato on stem side alignment when other articulations

From: david . nalesnik
Subject: Re: Issue 2535: Staccato on stem side alignment when other articulations are present (issue 196260043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:14:55 +0000

On 2015/01/27 15:07:24, dak wrote:
On 2015/01/27 14:37:27, david.nalesnik wrote:

> What would this property be named? snap-to-column? shift-in-column?

I suggest picking a name that starts in the same way as the existing
property.

toward-stem-shift-in-column would be unambiguous.  Long, perhaps, but
its 27 characters are exceeded by several properties, like
"beamlet-max-length-proportion" and "outside-staff-placement-directive".

I am not sure we want another
numeric property if its value is just some trial-and-error offset
(possibly
unlikely to work with different notehead styles or values) to arrive
at
"centered on notehead".

I do think that another numeric property is necessary.  After all, this
new property boils down to an alternate value of 'toward-stem-shift
(which is one of the principal motivations for including it in a number
pair).  As to potential problems with other sorts of noteheads, I'd have
to check, but that would mean that 'toward-stem-shift itself is flawed.
From the X-offset callback for Script in scm/output-lib, it appears that
the interpretation of this property is sound.

https://codereview.appspot.com/196260043/