Re: Some more possible tweaks to the appearance of the website

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Some more possible tweaks to the appearance of the website
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 02:07:25 -0500

Hi Trevor,

> On Feb 18, 2015, at 4:35 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> HOME PAGE
>>
>> - Simplified by removing two graphical elements — the “squiggle” and the
>> “What is LilyPond?” green bar that fades out horizontally — both of which
>> are unlike any other visual elements on the site and so they don’t “tie in”
>> well with the overall design.  (IMHO they don’t add much and actually
>> distract from the nice big image with the lily and music notation.  They
>> both had pure white backgrounds, so that’s why I’m proposing this change to
>> go with the background changes.)
>
> Don't like.  The new apearance is cleaner, but also, I think, too stark.  I
> also rather liked the separated text and link to "read more".  It looks far
> more inviting.

I couldn't resist... I have another mock-up to share. Curious to hear what you
and others think:

http://clairnote.org /lilypond-web-demo3/index3B.html

As you suggested this one has smaller text and the separate "read more" bit (as
on the current site).  It also puts the news items into boxes that are like
those used on the rest of the site, which I think works well for them.  This
also frames the main focal area well and helps the page not look as stark and
text-heavy.

Here's another version where the only difference is that pondings and quick
links are switched:

http://clairnote.org /lilypond-web-demo3/index3C.html

The advantage is that quick links always has a fixed height, while pondings
does not.  So this has a more compact "ragged-bottom" sidebar (rather than
"ragged-middle").

Cheers,
-Paul

P.S. previous version is still here for comparison:
http://clairnote.org /lilypond-web-demo3/