Re: Lilypond build: version

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond build: version
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:44:25 +0100

Keith OHara <address@hidden> writes:

> Phil Holmes <mail <at> philholmes.net> writes:
>
>> I completed a full GUB build of lilypond yesterday
>
> That's very good news.
> I was beginning to worry.

Well, it's been 5 months.  It's clear that our current maintainership of
GUB is not working out.  Basically the model is "Phil is running it, so
let him keep it running".  Now it's a great testament to GUB's qualities
that after initial setup it kept churning out releases for years without
anybody knowing all too much what they were doing.

It's great that Masamichi Hosoda turned up and made the necessary
changes to GUB and then helped Phil along, but we need to get GUB a bit
more unstuck than it currently is.

I'll be moving its development to Savannah soonish and will try getting
it some traction as a general GNU endeavor: after all, most projects
delivering Windows executables go through a lot more pain than we do:
the Windows ports of Git, Mingw, and a number of others are multi-person
efforts usually trailing significantly behind the "native" compilations,
and they require a lot more know-how and work to produce than ours as
long as GUB is in working state.

And the GUB problems we were having just now were not at all LilyPond
related: with a generally maintained GUB, all of the required work
(namely updating g++) would likely have been done by someone else by the
time we needed it.

> Thanks for taking the time to work through the problems.

A lot of those thanks belong to Masamichi Hosoda.  For me, Phil's most
admirable accomplishment is not setting fire to the pile basically
dropped at his feet but sticking around until help arrived for
untangling it.  Stuff like that is quite mentally draining and
unthankful.

I was elated about the improving news, and I also was elated that when
I finally saw that the upload had succeeded, I noticed at the same time
already about a dozen issues getting verified as fixed and closed.

We are still operative!