Re: Attachment downloader?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Attachment downloader?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:19:08 -0000

Assaf, you wrote Sunday, March 15, 2015 3:53 AM

> On 03/14/2015 01:57 PM, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>> I confirm this works, at least for the one instance I tried.
>> I guess now we need to write a script which parses the JSON
>> file to find the attachment parameters and then to wget them
>> using the assembled url.
>
> I think I understand now what type information is available form google-code,
> now I'll need to go look into the savannah code.
>
> If I understand correctly, the timeline allows projects to keep using
> google-code issues until August 2015, at which point it will be come
> read-only?

Correct

> This doesn't leave us a lot of time (especially that there aren't many
> volunteers working on savannah code...).
> I'll try to work on it (among all the other things), but it will be good to
> also look at fall-back options.
> if you do examine some other known bug-trackers solutions, would you mind
> sharing your options with savannah people?

In my opinion, especially following the recent experience of Google, we should
move to an open-source system.  There are few others apart from Savannah
(Gerrit is one) but I'm not aware that anyone in the LilyPond project is
exploring any of them at present.  As our source code is based at Savannah that
seems an obvious place to keep our issues DB, but the decision will be on how
well our needs and desires can be accommodated.  Your response means we're off
to a good start!

> As a side note, to better understand the exported JSON format,
> I wrote a small script which generate a static HTML from the JSON and also
> download the attachments - producing a static local copy.
> It's ugly but it (mostly) works.
>
> If you're interested, you can see the results here:
>  http://gcissues.housegordon.org/p/lilypond/
>
> Or download all the files here:
>   http://gcissues.housegordon.org/

This is excellent progress!  Thanks for taking the trouble to do this.  We can
now confidently assume all the data and all the images can be extracted, at
least in a usable read-only form.

I see the size of the tarball of the issues DB is 111Mb.  Not sure how big the
DB would be when extracted, but it will be large compared to a text-only issues
DB.  Would the size be a problem for Savannah?

> if there are LilyPond developers willing to help with hacking the savannah
> php code, please send an email to  address@hidden and we'll continue the
> discussion there.

I'm not really a hacker (my main contribution is LilyPond documentation), so
I'm hoping some of the others on the LilyPond developers list will pick up on
this.  There is a lot to do to either tailor the Savannah interface to
accommodate our established scripts and workflow, or develop a new one based on
the Savannah facilities.

To what extent are the various fields in the Savannah issues interface
tailorable on a project-specific basis?  I explored the website for details,
but failed to find any.  Perhaps I looked in the wrong places.

Thanks again for your help!
Trevor