Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2015
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 05:18:41 -0700 (MST)

David Kastrup wrote
>> What part of MusicXML conversion is best contained for a summer's
>> project?
>
> Export I think.  In its simplest form, it just converts a music
> expression into a list and then to SXML which can be consecutively
> dumped without any modification.  That would be a tangible milestone for
> further work (it would not yet be MusicXML).  I think that is a clearer
> path to develop along than the reverse.
>
> In contrast, import material in MusicXML proper is somewhat sparse to
> come by and for any import task one needs to decide on proper LilyPond
> constructs.  This is sort of easier to decide when one has already made
> decisions for export.

I'll add that in addition to these reasons David gives, I think one can make
a stronger case for a project on export than import.  Import already has
some partial support with musicxml2ly, while there is nothing for export.
Export has long been something that people have wanted (see the number of
stars and the old bounties being offered on the tracker, for example[1]).
It will be easier to convince people to adopt LilyPond if they know they can
export their scores if they change their mind in the future; their data
won't be locked into one format, etc.

Congrats on finishing your midterms, BTW!

-Paul

[1] https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=665