Re: Add sans-serif and monospace fonts (issue 224800043 by address@hidde

From: dak
Subject: Re: Add sans-serif and monospace fonts (issue 224800043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 05:33:59 +0000

On 2015/03/31 22:18:11, c_sorensen wrote:
On 2015/03/31 15:57:54, dak wrote:
> Shouldn't we rather be selecting the Courier and Helvetica fonts
(standard
> PostScript) and rely on GhostScript and/or font installation to
cater for the
> font substitution to Nimbus when required?
>
> That's not a rhetorical question: I don't know the answer myself.

IIUC, the problem that we had was that the font installations for some
systems
did not include ligatures, so we proposed to make a selection, rather
than
allowing the system default to apply.

The PostScript default fonts have well-defined metrics including
ligatures.  That's different from a non-specific "system default font"
according to Pango.  At least it _should_ be different.  I was not
talking about asking Pango for "Sans" or "Fixed", but for "Helvetica"
and "Courier".

PostScript is required to do something with that request that at least
results in well-known font metrics.  I don't know whether Pango is
similarly well-defined for that request, however.

https://codereview.appspot.com/224800043/