Re: Add sans-serif and monospace fonts (issue 224800043 by address@hidde

From: dak
Subject: Re: Add sans-serif and monospace fonts (issue 224800043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 18:46:34 +0000

On 2015/04/01 10:35:03, trueroad wrote:
On 2015/04/01 05:33:59, dak wrote:
> On 2015/03/31 22:18:11, c_sorensen wrote:
> > On 2015/03/31 15:57:54, dak wrote:
> > > Shouldn't we rather be selecting the Courier and Helvetica fonts
(standard
> > > PostScript) and rely on GhostScript and/or font installation to
cater for
> the
> > > font substitution to Nimbus when required?
> > >
> > > That's not a rhetorical question: I don't know the answer
myself.

> > IIUC, the problem that we had was that the font installations for
some
systems
> > did not include ligatures, so we proposed to make a selection,
rather than
> > allowing the system default to apply.
>
> The PostScript default fonts have well-defined metrics including
ligatures.
> That's different from a non-specific "system default font" according
to Pango.

> At least it _should_ be different.  I was not talking about asking
Pango for
> "Sans" or "Fixed", but for "Helvetica" and "Courier".
>
> PostScript is required to do something with that request that at
least results
> in well-known font metrics.  I don't know whether Pango is similarly
> well-defined for that request, however.

In my perception, pango requires actual font file (.otf, .pfb etc.).
If there is no font files, pango can't render anything.
Even if there is only font metric files (.afm, .pfm, .tfm etc.),
pango can't handle it.

Moreover, in my experiment,
pango can't handle the ligature of PostScript Type1 font (.pfb with
.afm or
.pfm).
It can handle the ligature of OpenType font (.otf).

What a mess.  Well, since we do the font handling with Pango, we have to
make do with its limitations.  I'd have thought that a sensible Pango
design would have gotten by with at most a .afm file for producing
PostScript files without embedded fonts but using PostScript standard
fonts.

If that's not the case, and if we even need to provide a .otf font, I
don't see much of an option around using a free font like Nimbus.

https://codereview.appspot.com/224800043/