Re: Images in doc

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Images in doc
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 14:07:01 +0200

Am 25.04.2015 um 10:34 schrieb Joram:
Hi,

is it a general no-go to have images in the docs?

I don't think there's anything that completely speaks agains images.

I know these counter
arguments:
1. not helpful for visually impaired users

I think it would be enough to make sure that information doesn't exclusively rely on the image parts.

2. larger binary blobs for version control
3. reduced ability to edit, recreate and update

However, I see big advantages in some cases, for instance settings of
vertical spacing. Right now, the text must explain in length which
distances we are talking about. And even worse: The impatient user must
read several pages to understand it. As we have seen many give up
beforehand. *In addition* to the text an image would be very helpful.
The issues above could be addressed by:

1. images only in addition to the text explanation
2.+3. use image-creating scripts (post script, svg, tikz, whatever is
best suited)

Ideally such images should be created during the doc build, and as LaTeX is involved anyway, why not use tikz or other LaTeX tools? I have once added an image to the website that was created using TikZ, but then I added the images to the lilypond-extra repository, along with the code to regenerate them when usual. (But I think website image should be seen and handled differently).

Urs

If there are changes to include that to the docs and I hear about the
way/program to create the image, I could come up with a proposal.

Cheers,
Joram