Make \shiftOff an assertive \override, not a \revert (issue 190500043 by

From: dak
Subject: Make \shiftOff an assertive \override, not a \revert (issue 190500043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 12:06:24 +0000

https://codereview.appspot.com/190500043/diff/1/python/convertrules.py
File python/convertrules.py (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/190500043/diff/1/python/convertrules.py#newcode3731
python/convertrules.py:3731: str = re.sub (r'\\shiftOff\b',
r'\\undo\\shiftOn', str)
I'm currently trying to apply a convert-ly rule and this rule completely
messes up the translations.  I have failed to notice this during review.

WTF?

It is apparently such a bad idea that this patch bumps the respective
version numbers for the documentation manually in order to avoid the
triggering of this rule.

If it is expected that people seriously worked with the previous
semantics of \shiftOff as contrasted to after the change, we should not
have changed its behavior without replacement in the first place.

I am also less than enthused that the responsible commit does not refer
to the issue number, the commit title does not match the issue title,
and the commit id 30a6581b78cd49b6600d43e8aa7b6d9e35cabb31 is not
recorded in the issue report.

Part of the reason is that this issue was marked "Verified" before the
bug squad could check that all the respective information for successful
verification is in the issue report.

This makes it hard to find the issue.

In addition, the following commit
commit a1d73a332fc4d1cb99bace19a5ec2c35262429e7
Author: Keith OHara <address@hidden>
Date:   Tue Dec 30 23:30:27 2014 -0800

    Update by hand instead of convert-ly

    The documentation already described the new behavior of \shiftOff

did not bother updating the version numbers in the translations.  In
consequence, running scripts/auxiliar/update-with-convert-ly.sh now will
overwrite the German, Spanish, Catalan, French, Hungarian, Italian,
Japanese and other translations with inappropriate changes.

This blocks issue 3229 from getting applied/pushed as it requires doing
a convert-ly update.

I am opening a new issue for removing this rule.

https://codereview.appspot.com/190500043/