Re: add stencil-whiteout-outline function (issue 236480043 by address@hi

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: add stencil-whiteout-outline function (issue 236480043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 14:03:05 +0200

Hello,

Am 31.05.2015 um 03:07 schrieb address@hidden:
I realize I am changing my opinion here on a few points:

[…]

(A convert-ly rule may be needed… maybe in any case to
change whiteout to whiteout-box? ...or maybe not?)

Looking at the existing uses of \whiteout Xxx.whiteout, it does seem
best to leave the plain box whiteout in existing scores. Convert-ly to
\whiteout-box one way to preserve the behavior, but it would be better
to leave the old markup function \whiteout for the old behavior, and add
\whiteout-outline.
If I may chime in here: I think this is unnecessarily conservative. The new method for whiteout is certainly much more elegant and more what one would expect in the first place, than the method we have been using. It’s rather going to be special cases in which \whiteout-box would be preferable, and in most cases it will be \whiteout-outline, not the other way around. \whiteout-outline is just a bit too clumsy to be used for what is a real improvement. So my vote goes toward \whiteout-box for the old and simply \whiteout for the new markup command. Concerning the grob property: what about .whiteout = #'box for the old and .whiteout = #⟨x⟩ for the new behaviour, x being the thickness, measured in line-thickness?

Regards, Simon