Migrating the Issues DB from Google Code to Savannah

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Migrating the Issues DB from Google Code to Savannah
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 23:22:39 +0100

Hi

A note to update you on progress in migrating our Issues DB away from Google
Code.  First a reminder that Google Code goes read-only on 24 August 2015, less
than 5 weeks away.  At that point issue recording and LilyPond development will
cease, as least in the current form, unless we have re-established our Issues
DB elsewhere.

So what progress?  Not good news.  I've experienced great difficulty in
migrating our Issues DB to Allura at SourceForge over the recent few weeks.  My
aim was to make a working copy at SF every 2 weeks, but so far my attempts to
migrate the DB as of 8 July have all failed.  Since then I've tried 7 times;
all failed either because the attachments were not linked or searches didn't
work because the inverted index had not been created or more recently because
the SF site went down with a storage fault during a migration.  The site was
then down for 5 days to recover from the fault, and after the service was
re-established earlier today my last two attempts to load the DB failed after
just a few hundred records, presumably because of heavy loading.

My conclusion is that we can no longer rely on having a working Issues DB at
SourceForge before the service at Google Code ceases, and must therefore aim to
transfer the DB directly to our VM at Savannah.  Let's hope that the migration
works rather better once Allura is installed there.

Given these difficulties I think we must now aim to migrate to Allura on our VM
at Savannah as soon as possible.  So where do we stand in installing Allura on
the VM and in redeveloping our scripts to work with Allura?  Are Federico and
Carl respectively still working on these aspects?

Trevor