Re: StaffPad

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: StaffPad
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:56:27 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> I was quite impressed seeing the following video.
>
>   https://www.facebook.com/verge/videos/975966512439692/
>
> If writing music like this *really* works, I could imagine that even I
> would use a computer instead of writing on paper...

Well, the video profits a lot from cutting, with average scene lengths
of few seconds and mostly single elements...  It's obvious that there is
significant selection of menu options going on between the scenes and
since we don't get a live presentation, it's anybody's guess just how
high the actual recognition rate is (as with anything based on
handwriting or speech or music recognition).

People working with Midi input methods for LilyPond or any other of the
mentioned recognition technologies know that _correcting_ a 90% result
may easily take up as much time as entering it manually in the first
place.  Now actually this StaffPad looks like a good fit for the
_correction_ pass as the graphical input method would seem to make
jumping between problematic locations and addition of articulations
(very hard to determine from Midi input) reasonably straightforward, and
navigation is probably the most time-consuming element of a correction
pass, whereas the initial entry pass is still likely done best linearly
with an actual instrument.

However, what we haven't seen in the video is correction of overall
mistiming, and that's likely the most troublesome part of cleaning up
results derived from actual Midi input.  Music derived from scanned
sheet music is likely a better starting point for a graphical correction
pass.