Re: Snippet 706: Generating custom flags

From: Masamichi HOSODA
Subject: Re: Snippet 706: Generating custom flags
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 01:40:27 +0900 (JST)

> In the PDF version of the snippet above, the "fl" letters of "flag" are
> missing.  I think this is probably because they are being converted to a
> ligatured glyph, and then not displaying.  Anyone know how to prevent this
> from happening?

If I understand correctly, it is pdfTeX issue.

In my environment, after full make doc,
build/Documentation/snippets.texi2pdf.log shows the following:

```
pdfTeX warning: pdfetex (file /usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/tex-gyre
/qcsr.pfb): glyph `f_i' undefined

pdfTeX warning: pdfetex (file /usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/tex-gyre
/qcsr.pfb): glyph `f_l' undefined
></usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/tex-gyre/qcsri.pfb

pdfTeX warning: pdfetex (file /usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/tex-gyre
/qcsri.pfb): glyph `f_i' undefined

pdfTeX warning: pdfetex (file /usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/tex-gyre
/qcsri.pfb): glyph `f_l' undefined
```

For minimum example, I've tried following command with attached files,
foobar.tex and lily-cc95e515-1.pdf.

$ pdflatex foobar.tex

Then, pdfTeX shows the following warning.
And, "fl" letters are missing in generated foobar.pdf.

```
pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/tex-gyr
e/qcsr.pfb): glyph `f_l' undefined
```

Moreover, I've tried LuaTeX instead of pdfTeX as following command.

$ lualatex foobar.tex

Then, LuaTeX doesn't show any warnings.
And, "fl" letters are not missing in generated foobar.pdf.
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}

\includegraphics{lily-cc95e515-1}