Re: Let the parser interpret alist variables (issue 290560043 by address

From: dak
Subject: Re: Let the parser interpret alist variables (issue 290560043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 08:49:43 +0000

On 2016/03/13 23:39:29, thomasmorley651 wrote:
Even from description the consequences are not clear to me.
Can you give a little verbose example?

Basically, you can now use x.y for defining and \x.y for using a
variable like you could previously use x_y and \x_y but the value is
really stored in an alist.

That's not all that exciting, except that in connection with issue 4798
this will also permit violin.1 or violin.#x which some people might
consider almost what they want.

However, the slightly nicer looking assignment

    violin1 = ...

is going to be ruled out by issue 4800 since I could not make the
corresponding \violin1 work.

It's sort of funny why \violin1 could not be made to work: I first let
an alist like \violin always grab the next expression and use it as an
index.  This caused \key c \major to stop working since \major has
_exactly_ the form of an alist indexed by a number.  So the indexing
operation must be made explicit (dot or comma), and in order to make it
explicit for the assignment as well, issue 4800.

As a corollary, \minor.2 is equivalent to #-1/2 after this issue and
issue 4798.

https://codereview.appspot.com/290560043/