Re: GSoC mentors once more

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: GSoC mentors once more
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:58:20 -0400

Hi Jan-Peter,

Glad to hear you’re interested in being a mentor.

> On Mar 14, 2016, at 2:54 AM, Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Still, I would like to know, how much effort would come up with it to me?
> Well, answering questions (or delegating them) and reviewing code should be
> no problem :-)

You might want to look at the GSOC “Mentoring Manual”:
http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsoc-mentoring/about-this-manual/

Here’s its description of the mentor role:

Mentor: Mentors are people from the community who volunteer to work with a
student. Mentors provide guidance such as pointers to useful documentation,
code reviews, etc. In addition to providing students with feedback and
pointers, a mentor acts as an ambassador to help student contributors integrate
into their project's community. Some organizations choose to assign more than
one mentor to each of their students. Many members of the community provide
guidance to their project's GSoC students without mentoring in an "official"
capacity, much as they would answer anyone's questions on the project's mailing
list or IRC channel.

-Paul