Re: "Spanner-context" GSoC project, mentor needed

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: "Spanner-context" GSoC project, mentor needed
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 10:57:00 -0400

Hi Urs,

While I don't have skills required to mentor this project, I'd like to
chime in to say that I think the project is valuable.

Decoupling spanners from (a single) LilyPond voice makes sense, as you
point out, in any sort of polyphonic context, even in very traditional
scores. Additionally, many contemporary scores use spanners quite heavily
(multiple spanners overlapping in a single voice, starting and stopping all
over the place, to indicate things like continuous changes of bow position,
bow pressure, air pressure, relative amounts of noise versus tone, etc etc).

So that's it: I just wanted to add that my own perspective working with
very recent scores reinforces the value of the project.

Thanks for initiating the discussion on this one and I hope solid
mentorship appears for the summer.

Trevor.