Re: Tie properties vs. slur properties.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Tie properties vs. slur properties.
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 08:46:33 +0200

tisimst <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:19 AM, Werner LEMBERG [via Lilypond] <
> address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> > The tie interface has height-limit and ratio as part of Tie.details.
>> >
>> > The slur interface has height-limit and ratio as part of Slur (not
>> > embedded in Slur.details).
>> >
>> > Is there a reason for this difference, or is it just due to never
>> > making the two be consistent?
>>
>> I believe it's the latter.
>>
>> > If there is no reason for the difference, I think the two should be
>> > rationalized, probably by moving Slur.height-limit and Slur.ratio to
>> > Slur.details.height-limit and Slur.details.ratio.
>>
>> This looks ok.
>>

> What's the benefit of nesting properties like this?

You don't need to list them individually in an interface.  You can
override the whole set of details with one command without needing to
specifically clear properties that are usually never set, but the user
and/or some containing context may have set them to special values.

If you need to access them as a set anyway, it's faster to get them once
and go from there.

There may be properties in some "details" that are named identically to
properties in some other "details" or at top level.

That's what I can currently think of.

I'm not particularly enamored with the details either, but if you take a
look at stuff like the harp diagram details, they are really a long long
list.  Overriding all of them individually is effort.