Re: Still cannot make doc :(

From: James
Subject: Re: Still cannot make doc :(
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 14:56:47 +0100

Hello,

On 30/05/16 08:31, Knut Petersen wrote:
Am 29.05.2016 um 13:52 schrieb David Kastrup:
I have to see whether I have a chance to run a 64 bit kernel on my system: I used to for a few years (and consequently was able to look at 64 bit code), but the current laptop has an Nvidia card and Ubuntu's kernel/library setup did not manage to integrate the Nvidia proprietary driver stuff into a 64 bit kernel running on a 32bit userland and the free drivers did not work reasonably. Maybe the situation has improved.

On my i7-4790K valgrind reports 23179 "Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)" and "Use of uninitialised value of size 8" errors from 121 contexts. I suspect that the patch that breaks "make doc" only exposes an older problem. But 121 context ... that's a lot of code to inspect.

Workaround
============

I installed an additional 32-bit build environment on my PC and chrooted to that environment (after "mount -o bind /dev /32bitenv/dev")
In this environment "make doc" succeeds.

Yes. Also LilyDev uses 32bit env which is why I think Phil can build doc and push for me, see next ..

A few questions
============

Is there anybody out there who succeeds to build the current lilypond documentation on a 64 bit linux machine with a 64 bit toolchain?
Please report cpu as well as versions of gcc and guile.

To those who see "make doc" fail at orchestra.ly: Please report cpu as well as versions of gcc and guile. Please also send the output of

valgrind -v --track-origins=yes /lilysourcedir/build/out/bin/lilypond -dpreview -dverbose -dresolution=150 \ -o ./out-www /lilysourcedir/Documentation/ly-examples/orchestra.ly &> logfile

so I installed a new VM with Ubuntu 14.0.4LTS as this was updated last Feb but is a different version to the one i use at Work (15.0.x) and whatever David uses/d (16.04?) and still got the same problem of make doc on current master.

So I on this VM:

guile version = 1.8.8

GCC version = 4.8.4 (4.8.4-2Ubuntu~14.04.3)

CPU * 6 = (cat /proc/cpuinfo) - note this is in a VM and while I do pass
through the CPU to the HV layer, I don't know if it helps or not.

processor    : 1

vendor_id    : GenuineIntel

cpu family    : 6

model        : 44

model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz

stepping    : 2

microcode    : 0xffffffff

cpu MHz        : 2394.005

cache size    : 12288 KB

physical id    : 0

siblings    : 5

core id        : 1

cpu cores    : 5

apicid        : 1

initial apicid    : 1

fpu        : yes

fpu_exception    : yes

cpuid level    : 11

wp        : yes

flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc rep_good
nopl pni pclmulqdq ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes hypervisor lahf_lm

bugs        :

bogomips    : 4788.01

clflush size    : 64

cache_alignment    : 64

address sizes    : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management:

On my Physical Workstation where it also fails:

guile version = 1.8.8

GCC version = (Ubuntu 5.2.1-22ubuntu2) 5.2.1 20151010

CPU = (cat /proc/cpuinfo) - note the VM above is not run on the same hardware
as my Workstation so the CPUs are different.

vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 58
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping        : 9
microcode       : 0x15
cpu MHz         : 1699.468
cache size      : 8192 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 2
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 5
initial apicid  : 5
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc
aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3
cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave
avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi
flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt
bugs            :
bogomips        : 6790.87
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

Zipped Valgrind output of both OSes is attached to this email or can be obtained here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9nZ5LHV2Ds6dGU5VTJjOGNlSm8/view?usp=sharing

James