Re: [GSoC] spanners project update

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GSoC] spanners project update
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 16:22:30 +0200

Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Nathan, hi Dan,
>
> the "nearest" context might be on Staff level - or, if (for example)
> you have voices switching staves, on StaffGroup level, where a
> StaffGroup also might be a GrandStaff or the like. If the context
> property turns out to complex (I don't see all consequences yet),
> you'll have to use this static engraver member. But you should try the
> "nearest" context.

A static engraver member would be a total disaster.  What happens for
stuff like

{ c1-\markup \score { \new Staff { e1 } } }

with global variables like that?  What happens when the engraver is
being collected but the static member stays around without protection
from garbage collection?  Or if it is protected, will it drag into the
next file to be processed on the command line?

Ids for \= could be specified as a key-list? and if it has two members
(more would be an error) the first should be a context type symbol
indicating the context the separate engravers choose to share their data
over.