Re: Fun with upgrades - not

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fun with upgrades - not
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 16:26:33 +0200

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> Il giorno mar 28 giu 2016 alle 19:27, James <address@hidden> ha scritto:
>>> I would first try to set up the system and avoid virtual machines
>>> for LilyPond development.
>>> Installing the dependencies should be as easy as:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get build-dep lilypond
>>
>> Except when it isn't.
>>
>> I.e. all those extra bits that are documented in the CG.
>>
>> I did a bit of work on a number of Distributions and have had to
>> document those little idiosyncrasies there.
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor-big-page#requirements-for-compiling-lilypond
>
> Ok, but the point is that it usually works quite easily, at least in
> my experience.
>
> BTW, today I've set up a Debian container with debootstrap and
> systemd-container, to work around the problem of GCC6 in Fedora. It
> seems a very nice way to have a controlled environment for lilypond
> development. I think I'll send some notes soon in this list, in case
> someone wants to try it out.

As soon as GCC6 becomes usefully available for Ubuntu, I'll likely go
after the problem if it persists.  At the current point of time,
particularly with my somewhat weird 32/64-bit setup, that would be a lot
of effort.

I do think that GCC6 is rather bleeding-edge right now and I doubt you'd
find it in RedHat (which uses Fedora as sort of a pretest platform) yet.