Re: Fun with upgrades - not

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Fun with upgrades - not
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 10:16:38 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander Kobel" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:42 PM

Hi Phil,

I had a bit of trouble to parse your setup description. IIUC, you used to have a machine with

- Ubuntu 10.04 running natively as host
  - VirtualBox environment on this one
    - LilyDev/Ubuntu 12.04 VM
    - Windows Vista VM
    - Windows 7 VM

No Vista VM - that's a real PC.  Otherwise correct.

and want to go to

- Ubuntu 14.04. running natively as host
  - VirtualBox environment on this one
    - possibly a LilyDev/Ubuntu 12.04 VM ?
    - Windows Vista VM
    - Windows 7 VM

Correct? Or will you just install a Win7 on your shiny new piece of hardware and keep Ubuntu on the old one?

I did want to use a Win7 VM, but will now not do so - I 'll use my new PC when it arrives. As before - no Vista - just the Ubuntu VM for my GUB environment.

W.r.t. the mountpoints, have a look at

http://askubuntu.com/questions/336518/why-has-ubuntu-moved-the-default-mount-points#336580
for an explanation and

http://askubuntu.com/questions/214646/how-to-configure-the-default-automount-location/276670#276670
for a way to go back to the pre-10.10-behavior (untested though, I'm quite happy with the new behavior on Arch Linux here). That different users cannot access the drive with the new default is the intended feature, not a bug, though it might come unexpected.

For a quick-and-dirty solution, you can check whether symlinks (con: not a "proper" directory; pro: simple and persistent over reboots) or bind-mounts (pro: proper directory; con: more difficult to setup, in particular if you want them for automounted drives) serve the same purpose. Also, mounting a device multiple times as Wol suggested is no problem at all.

Thanks.  Will check that out if needed.

Finding out why the VM became slow sounds difficult. I am a VirtualBox user, too, but never experienced severe problems - on the other hand, I basically use it once a year for the tax declaration, and even less often to buy sheet music on sites which ship Scorch files. In contrast, Lightroom sounds like an application that might be interested in direct access to the graphics hardware. I assume that there comes a newer VirtualBox with 14.04 than the one on 10.04; I suggest to double-check whether there is a setting that enables or disables GPU support and/or PCI passthrough. The explanations here

https://blogs.oracle.com/fatbloke/entry/3d_acceleration_with_ubuntu_guests
might still be valid (don't miss out on the vboxvideo module part, could be important...).

Thanks again. I did conclude that the problem with LightRoom was probably GPU related, since it's a fairly sophisticated graphics package.

--
Phil Holmes