Re: Gub failure

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Gub failure
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 09:37:47 +0200

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> Il giorno mar 26 lug 2016 alle 19:36, Dan Eble <address@hidden> ha
> scritto:
>> I should have made it clear that I asked because my build is failing.
>> I’ve got makeinfo version 4.13.
>
> Are you sure that you are using LilyDev 3? It is based on Debian
> stable (Jessie) and texinfo is version 5.2:
> https://packages.debian.org/jessie/texinfo
>
> I may install version 6.1 from testing in next LilyDev release, if
> this helps.

My guess is that it will help performance.  5 was a serious step down
(due to the porting of C to Perl) and I believe that was a bit of focus
for complaints.  So it would seem like an optimistic guess that
performance was also a bit of focus.

The Texinfo 6.0 release news state: "texi2any: [...] a bit faster".

6.1 notes state:

* texi2any:
  . Some Perl modules have been rewritten in C to increase speed.
    If Perl extensions can be created, they are used by default;
    otherwise the pure Perl implementations are still used.
    Disable at build time with "configure --disable-perl-xs".  The
    environment variable TEXINFO_XS controls how they are used by
    texi2any.

Let's hope that the right modules have been rewritten and that the
architecture of texi2any is well-suited to exploiting the gains.