Re: repeating bar numbers and rehearsal marks in frenched scorej

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: repeating bar numbers and rehearsal marks in frenched scorej
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 17:43:22 +0200

Mark Knoop <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, here's a patch using only the remove-layer property with these
> values:
>
> - #f: ignored by Keep_alive_together_engraver
> - -1: kept alive by any other layer

Isn't that the same as '() ?

> - integer != -1: current usage
> - unspecified: kept alive by all but ignored layers
>
> The prior comment at lily/keep-alive-together-engraver.cc, line 72:
> "Unspecified layers are kept alive by anything else" was not quite true -
> unspecified layers are not kept alive by ignored layers, i.e. those with
> remove-layer = ##f.
>
> I still wonder whether it might be more intuitive to swap the meanings
> of #f and -1.
>
> I've not included any documentation beyond the regression/example at
> this stage.

Ugh, this is a bit too random.  It would probably make more sense to use
number-or-symbol? here and then assign various symbols to various
behaviors.

At any rate, I think the principal problem is that the
Keep_alive_together_engraver is desired to keep the marks context alive
with _either_ of the two voices under it.  That would sound like we
should have some way of grouping the marks context with the
_StaffGroup_ rather than the individual contexts.

So should the Keep_alive_together_engraver stop at a VerticalAlignment?
If you want to keep together the contexts in a vertical alignment (like
a StaffGroup), you could still add another Keep_alive_together_engraver
in the context carrying the Vertical_alignment_engraver.

Basically, we would add the hara-kiri-interface to VerticalAlignment as
well?  Something like that?