Re: repeating bar numbers and rehearsal marks in frenched score

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: repeating bar numbers and rehearsal marks in frenched score
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 22:09:04 +0200

Mark Knoop <address@hidden> writes:

> At 21:03 on 28 Jul 2016, David Kastrup wrote:
>>Mark Knoop <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I'm also unclear as to why you feel that this is unsuitable to be
>>> done by the Keep_alive_together_engraver without further nesting.
>>> After all, the documentation for this engraver states:
>>>
>>>     These spanners are then tied together so that one will be removed
>>>     only if all are removed.
>>
>>Your use case desired to have staves removed without consideration of
>>whether the mark line is removed, and have the mark line removed only
>>if all staves are removed.
>
> How is this so conceptually dissimilar to the divisi-staves situation
> which introduced the remove-layer property?

The staves are also removed without consideration whether the other
staff is removed.  While the mark line needs to watch both staff lines.

> I'm sorry, I am trying to progress this and respond to your
> suggestions, but it would be nice to receive some proper criticism of
> my (working) code which amounts to more than just "I don't like it".

It makes stuff more complex rather than simpler while adding only quite
specific use cases rather than a new class of problems.  I am searching
for something with a better payoff in terms of opening obvious solutions
for regularly occuring problems.  remove-layer is a low-level mechanism
for dealing comparatively straightforwardly with typical divisi
problems.  What you are looking for, however, is a class of simple
omission problems.  Maybe we can solve this completely differently?
Like using "alignAboveContext"  being given the StaffGroup context name?
And just squashing it when the StaffGroup to align above is missing?

That would appear to match the problem space well enough again.