Re: repeating bar numbers and rehearsal marks in frenched score

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: repeating bar numbers and rehearsal marks in frenched score
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 18:09:57 +0100

At 16:41 on 29 Jul 2016, David Kastrup wrote:
>I remember that the decision to sort the remove-layers numerically was
>based on the desire not to have logical circles: with this sort of
>ordering, the behavior of lower numbers does not depend on that of
>higher numbers.  Any other solution would likely need to maintain that
>property.

I still think the easiest and most logical way to do this is with the
Keep_alive_together_engraver. So the options within this engraver are:

i) using the remove-layer property

    either special-casing a particular value of the remove-layer
    property, whether that be an integer value, or a symbol

ii) introducing a new property specifically to control this behaviour

    remove-last seems logical, but conflicts badly with remove-first,
    perhaps remove-finally?

iii) introducing a new property to do this and other things

What other related things could be done?

Prior to the fix for issue 3518 (support for temporary divisi staves),
the Keep_alive_together_engraver was useful only in Frenched scores,
i.e. in conjunction with \RemoveEmptyStaves - one doesn't need to keep
things alive together if they are alive all the time.

The introduction of the VerticalAxisGroup.remove-layer property created
a usage of the Keep_alive_together_engraver in an un-Frenched score,
indeed in the current state the layer with the highest score can't
include \RemoveEmptyStaves as it would then never appear. See attached
expansion of the divisi-staves regtest.

So perhaps a new property could be useful for solving this problem?
Thoughts?

--
Mark Knoop